Youth Development Coordinator
About the Organization
Media Power Youth is a youth development nonprofit that helps young people advocate for the causes and people they care about by building healthy communication skills. We inspire young people to engage with media in thoughtful and creative ways that support their physical and mental well-being. We facilitate a wide a variety of programs and provide resources for parents, educators, and emerging youth leaders.
About the Job
Do you love mentoring youth and guiding them through how to advocate for their own well-being?
Are you passionate about social issues and creatively expressing yourself to achieve a greater good?
We are seeking a Youth Development Coordinator to help us provide experiential learning programs on media and technology. If you are naturally curious and enjoy helping children and teens explore new ideas, join our team and you could make a big difference in the lives of youth.
About the Organization: Media Power Youth is a youth development nonprofit that helps young people advocate for the causes and people they care about by building healthy communication skills. We inspire young people to engage with media in thoughtful and creative ways that support their physical and mental well-being. We facilitate a wide variety of programs and provide resources for parents, educators, and emerging youth leaders.
Position Summary: The Youth Development Coordinator will design and facilitate learning opportunities for youth in grades K through 12. They will host small group activities and media creation projects that teach youth how to use media safely and effectively. They will collaborate with the Community Engagement Coordinator and Executive Director to cultivate awareness and support for our programs. They will develop resources for youth-serving professionals and parents seeking to help young people develop a healthy relationship with technology.
- Design and facilitate fun and creative enrichment activities at community organizations, including schools, after-school programs, museums, and summer camps.
- Craft discussion guides to help foster dynamic, youth-driven conversations about media, interpersonal communication, and healthy communities.
- Support youth leadership clubs through mentoring, advocacy trainings, and assistance with video creation projects.
- Research how youth are using different media platforms and recommend digital wellness strategies to keep children safe and healthy.
- Develop and deliver professional development trainings to youth-serving professionals and parents to expand their knowledge of youth media culture and how to use media to enhance learning.
- Assist with grant writing and capacity building projects by providing insights on program impact and suggesting new offerings.
- Passion for the mission and programs of Media Power Youth.
- Ability to collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds, ages, and abilities.
- Perceptiveness and the initiative to adapt programming to the unique needs of organizational partners and participants.
- Prior experience in writing lesson plans and/or facilitating youth activities preferred.
- Knowledge of academic and social-emotional learning curriculum standards a plus.
- Knowledge of program evaluation practices and designing assessment tools.
- Strong communication skills (oral, written, and visual). Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite. Knowledge of online collaboration tools, such as Zoom and Kahoot.
- Graphic design and video production skills or a desire to learn.
- Flexibility to work late afternoons/evenings (mostly midweek) to lead and participate in events at community partners.
- Completed or currently enrolled in bachelor’s degree program in education, arts, media studies, social work, psychology, sports and recreation, library science, or marketing.
Salary Range: $20 - $25/hour depending on experience, starting at 20 hours per week with the potential to grow into an expanded role.
Please submit a letter of interest and resume via email to email@example.com. This position is open and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.